- Microsoft Update –I always run update to make sure the OS is secured and running smooth.
- Microsoft Security Essentials-Now that Microsoft offers a great free virus protector I install it next.
- CCleaner-Put this in and run it to clean up installation files and registry before I start adding in all what I want. Side note:always change erase settles to wipe more then once.
- IOBit’s Smart Defrag– Of coarse you want everything lined up so defrag now. I use Smart Defrag first.
Mozilla Firefox– Chrome Browser – Fast start-up, Fast loading, Fast search and soon Flash Sand Boxed.
- Hijack This-Always the best Spyware protector. I only add this one because you don’t need much since Windows Defender is Loaded when you update.
- VLC Media-Plays everything.
- Open Office-You need office software and you don’t want to pay or steal.. this is the best.
- Pidgin-Because I like to stay connected to whatever client you have and the pidgin does it all.
- Foxit Reader-As they say on their web site “NO BLOAT PDF Reader”
- Zinio Reader– I love my PC Magazine and I love it digitally.
- Steam-I am a huge Portal Fan.
- Black Viper-Not something I add but something I do. Clean up running programs.
- I don’t have a program for this but lastly I kill all startups but the ones I really need. I don’t like waiting forever for a PC to boot.
- Last step CCleaner and Smart Defrag one more time.
- Secunia – Provides security advisories and information about patches, and provides software for vulnerability management. A cool software that keeps things updated!
Now I am ready for all I want to do. Hope that helps.